Tarot for the Modern Reader
How I Went from Nurse to Tarot Card Reader
A peek behind the curtain of my struggle to find my true passion
It all started way back, about 10 years ago, while I was still in Nursing School…
After many years of bein’ a single momma to two AWESOME daughters, I was thrilled when my life took a very “traditional” turn. I got married, became a momma again to awesome daughter number three, and in her first year of life, headed off to Nursing School! My second daughter had been in a terrible accident a few years prior, and after a lot of time spent in the hospital, I realized I had a real knack for the healing profession, and so when the time was right for me to consider what I wanted to do with my life, it seemed a natural path! Little did I know… I did have a knack for helping others, but I wasn’t quite on the right path yet…
While in school, I had signed up for one of those “book clubs”. You know the kind, you get a certain number of books for a penny, then they send you books each month for you to decline or pay for (I was NEVER any good at that stuff!). As I perused the selection, I noticed they offered a pack of Tarot Cards (oooohhhh mermaid with a shiny bauble syndrome!). I immediately ordered them and they arrived complete with a little book.
At this time, I was about half or three quarters of the way through my
I couldn’t see it then, but it was the best thing that ever happened to me. At the time I was angry, sad, ashamed, embarrassed and probably every other emotion imaginable! Though, had I graduated, I would probably still be in the daily exhausting grind that is the work of a health professional. Don’t get me wrong, the job comes with a lot of rewards, both tangible and internal, but it wasn’t the right “job” for me.
Realizing my ladder had been leaning against the wrong wall…
After all of those years, I realized I had spent a long time, climbing the wrong ladder. For years afterwards, everyone from family to caring friends, have all told me I should “just go back” for that one semester. But I realized, while I wanted to help others, I didn’t want to be a nurse. Fate had other plans for me. My destiny lay elsewhere.
The re-emergence of the cards…
After that, I took a job as a bartender while I considered my next move. While watching a movie one night, the Tarot cards came on the screen. While I didn’t know what they really meant, I recognized a bunch of them, and even had a vague “idea” of the card based on its picture. Proof that ANYONE can read this visual symbolism!
Shortly thereafter I took my daughter to a bookstore for a costume party to celebrate the midnight release of the latest book in a very popular “magical” book series. While killing time I perused the Spirituality section and came across a very basic card meaning book on clearance. I sat in the bookstore and read that book that night, and then I bought it (seemed fair). Then I went home and unpacked my cards.
Fast forward to today…
The Story of Tarot Liza
My goal at Tarot Liza, is to make this one of those sites for you :). Today I really enjoy reading for myself and others, not for prediction, but for Empowerment! When you are on the Tarot Journey, you realize that you have so much control over your choices, your life, and where it's all headed! Tarot gives us that Roadmap, and with it, we can use this ancient system to look deep into the heart of a matter and discern all of the information to make the best decisions possible, to create the outcome we want! Tarot helps us to be prepared to meet whatever comes next :) Now, I want to empower YOU with the tools and skills you need to empower and transform your life and others with the Tarot as well :) I'm here to educate, mentor, inspire, empower and share. I hope you can find everything you will ever need for your Tarot journey, here.
Your CHALLENGE: Join the Tarot Liza Community. Do it now! Join the FREE facebook group, 'Tarot for the Modern Reader". Then tell us in the comments, what are you most excited to learn about Tarot? What do you struggle with the most? Identify the biggest block you have with learning Tarot, and share it with us below!
Did you like this content and find it useful? If so, please help us spread the word by spreading the (social) love! We'd LOVE it if you'd Like and Share below! Tweetable: "Don't Be Afraid to Fail!"
I’m Liza, professional Tarot reader, writer and mentor, and this is Tarot Liza. Everyday we're working to bring our mission of delivering more value and Tarot education to the Modern Reader to life! Welcome! Read more...
- The Shadow Self, what is it and where does it come from? How is it formed, and how do we heal it? Why do we have it in the first place? These are all questions that come up when we begin discussing the shadow. No discussion about the shadow is complete without a dive into mythology, as all things related to the shadow are naturally related to the Underworld. The Underworld is the…Read More »
- Autumn, and the Suit of Swords. It’s officially Autumn here in the Northern Hemisphere, also commonly known as Fall. The Sun has moved into the sign of Libra and we have reached the Autumnal Equinox. The moment in time when the balance of light and darkness briefly become equal, before beginning to tip the scales towards the darkness. The days become shorter, with the light slowly…Read More »
- Tricky cards come up in our tarot readings time and again. This post is going to cover 3 specific tricky card situations you will find yourself dealing with, and help you navigate each of them with ease. “Good cards”, “Bad cards”, and “Court cards”. Right about now you might be wondering “why are ‘good cards’ a problem?” The first thing I want to do is clarify that I don’t believe…Read More »
- Using and creating the right spreads is not as tricky or daunting as it sounds. As a matter of fact, by the time you reach the end of this post, I think you’ll be ready and excited to create your own! Let’s first talk about USING the right spread. There are A LOT of card spreads out there. In today’s digital world, one cruise through Pinterest or Instagram can put dozens of spreads at your fingertips within minutes! Yet…Read More »
- Tips for an accurate reading. We all want to give the best readings ever right? We want to be so spot-on with our insights, delivering genius answers that wow our querent and stuns them with our accuracy! We want every reading to be an EPIC reading, with the sitter saying "how did you KNOW that?!?" The last thing we want is to be staring at our laid out cards, a vague idea, knowing THIS card means this and THAT card means…Read More »
- A Yes/No Reading. When it comes to Tarot, the cards are deep, the imagery is rich and the symbolism is plentiful! A reading consisting of even just one card can yield such a depth of nuanced information. Yet there will be those readings, many times in your practice, when someone will ask you a specific question and will be looking for a one word answer. Just one word. Yes. Or No. Should you give yes/no readings?…Read More »