Tarot for the Modern Reader
Top 10 Tips for Beginning Readers
When you first begin to read Tarot cards, you have SOOOOO many questions! Most of them feel very legitimate at the time, and while some are based on physical techniques, others are based on how to interpret, and still other times we just want to know if we are doing it “right”. When I first started reading, I was so excited! Yet I had so many unanswered questions (and stacks and stacks of resource books to prove it!). Today I’m bringing you Ten Tips that I’ve rounded up from a few of my fellow card reading peers.
What I love about these tips are that they are so profound, and yet so simple at the same time. Some are short and sweet, others a little longer, yet they all offer the same wisdom. If I had this little list to look at ten years ago, I think I might have breathed a little sigh of relief that it was all going to be good. That it’s about the journey not the destination, and I was doing everything just fine, because no matter how I did it, it was going to be my own way, which is just the right way for each of us. Hopefully a few of these tips speak to you, inspire you, or at least make you smile!
1. Journal, Practice, and do your best to memorize the basic meanings of a standard deck (whichever system you choose) so that when you begin to branch out into other styles and types of decks you have a good base to start with. Knowledge of astrology, numerology and so forth helps too. -Amy Dee
2. Never bullshit. –Angelique
3. Learn the traditional meanings, but don't be afraid to move away from them when your intuition indicates. Also, ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INTUITION. –Nathalie
4. Realize that although each card has a theme, there is more than one meaning for each card depending on the cards beside it. So listen to your intuition when looking at the card as something will stand out from the card which will be appropriate for the person you practice on. –Suzanne
5. Let the image guide you. –Bonnie
6. Find a deck that really speaks to you! Makes learning so much easier. –earthangel.moonchild
7. Record your thoughts about each draw you do, whether it's in your journal, on your blog or even on Insta. You'll see patterns emerge and learn your own language of the cards xo. –Clare
8. Best advice would be to stay calm and trust any messages that come to you and any impressions you get from a card. –Kayla
9. Don't worry about the "official" meanings but use your intuition to see what the cards tell you. When I started, a reading took forever because I was looking up ever single card. Once I put the book away, things started falling into place. –Lori
10. Trust yourself. There is no wrong way to eat a Rees----errr, read a Tarot card J -Liza
That’s it! Notice some similarities? The same theme runs through almost all of them. Simple. Profound.
Your CHALLENGE: Tell us below, what is the most useful piece of advice you have gotten, whether above, or elsewhere, for reading the cards?
Did you like this content and find it useful? If so, please help us spread the word by spreading the (social) love! We'd LOVE it if you'd Like and Share below! Tweetable: "Top Ten Tips!"
- QUIZ: Which Tarot Queen Are You RIGHT NOW? Different seasons of life bring out our different predominant Queens. Connect more deeply with your current Queen. Which one are you embodying most right NOW? Take this super fun, SCARY ACCURATE quiz and find out! Warning, it may not be the Queen you have always considered as your …Read More »
- It’s officially Spring! The Sun has moved into the sign of Aries and we have finally reached the Vernal Equinox after another long, dreary and cold winter. Things are looking up. The grass grows greener, the air is warmer and there is usually a general feeling of optimism. The days and nights are equal in length as we finally crest …Read More »
- Typically, Court Cards are some of the most difficult cards for many readers to understand and interpret, and rightfully so! Why? I think because there are so many and they can be similar. It’s not hard for us to distinguish the Sun card from the Tower is it? Yet when we have 16 cards that fall into a 4x4 matrix, …Read More »
- With 78 cards and meanings, how many times as a newer reader, have you tried, and found it daunting, almost impossible, to memorize EVERY meaning for EVERY card? To a point where it’s difficult to give readings for other people? Even though you WANT to practice your reading skills, maybe on family or friends, you don’t want to have …Read More »
- So you Want to be a Tarot Card Reader So you want to do a Tarot card reading, but you’ve never picked up a deck of cards before ‘eh? This post is a How-To on getting started with the cards. Literally a step-by-step for your first reading, beautiful soul! Now even if you’ve already done a few readings, keep reading …Read More »
- Current Overview of the Month 5 of Cups Reversed I don’t know if I should feel disappointed I’m looking at this card, or just happy it’s reversed! The truth is, the outlook, the energy, our environment, it’s all happening around us whether we choose to acknowledge it or not. Knowing what it is can help us make the best of …Read More »