Tarot for the Modern Reader
A Trio of August Tarot Spreads
If you are looking for a great August Tarot spread, look no further! I have a trio of them that will get you excited for a month of interesting energy! If you follow astrology, then you already know that July has been like molasses! Slow, with retrogrades, hangups, setbacks and even a few life-altering eclipses thrown in for good measure!
But August.....now AUGUST, is like the sweet relief! So many good aspects coming throughout August, and several special ones that we don't often talk about.
So today, I'm going to share with you some of those beyond-the-norm cosmic events in August that are worth noting, and as a result, I've created a tarot spread for each of them for you to try if you feel called to!
Sun in Leo Card Spread
Although we are halfway though Leo season, and a week past the New Moon in Leo, I still find this so relevant and worth working through. If you haven't yet done a tarot spread for yourself for this August, I encourage you to try this one!
This is the time of Leo, the Lion. The fifth sign of the zodiac asks us to focus on fun, creativity, and children. Additionally, it's a great time for connecting with your own inner-child and having more child-like fun. What brings you joy and makes you happy? Do more of that! This spread will help you make the most of Leo season :)
1. What makes me, ME, how do I stand out?
2. Where can I SHINE my light brightest and show who I am?
3.How can I show myself more SELF-LOVE and take care of 'me'?
4. How can I have more fun, or experience more JOY?
5. How or where should I be focusing my CREATIVITY?
6. How can I be generous to others?
The Lion's Gate Spread
The Lion's Gate portal began to open on July 26 and closes on August 12. However it reaches its peak on August 8th, (8/8) and that is the date everyone focuses on. The portal reaches an exact alignment today between the Earth, the Sun and the star Sirius.✨ The two stars line up like two beautiful suns! So what is this portal?
It is a time of intense cosmic energy that is flowing between the physical and the spiritual planes. It is a time of awakening your DIVINE LIGHT. What does that mean? It means that we all have a divine purpose here. We may or may not already know what that is. It is the purpose our soul came here in this lifetime to pursue.
Though many of us are not working in our divine purpose. Doing our highest good. Many of us don't know what that is! I believe it is evidenced to us in the things that we absolutely love to do, the things that drive us deep down inside and fuel our passions.
When is this happening?
During this time but particularly on August 8th, there is an intense amount of light that is being showered down on to earth from the star Sirius. Sirius is the closest star to earth. This is incredibly high-vibrational light and will awaken your DNA, activating your energies. Therefore, this is a great day to bask in it as much as possible. Sunbathing, moonbathing, meditation and journaling. This cosmic event is special to August each year. The tarot spread below may help prompt your journaling.
If you know where 15 degrees of Leo falls in your own Astrology chart, this is the area of your life where you will see these blessings, opportunities and gifts, where you can make the most of your divine purpose. ✨ The energy is especially supercharged this year, as we have THREE personal planets all in Leo right now, the Sun, Venus and Mars.
1. What is my DIVINE LIGHT or soul purpose? ✨
2. How can I best begin to work with it?
3. What can I pay attention to activating in my energy field?
4. What signs can I watch for to reinforce I am on the right path?
5. What can I do to best receive the light that will be showered on me?
6. How can I make the very most of this cosmic energy and divine guidance?
The Hungry Ghost Month Spread
Now if the Lion's Gateway was a little new to you, I'm betting the Hungry Ghost Month is is even less familiar....and why I want to talk about it! Hungry Ghost Month is observed in China, and I observe it, because I am a Feng Shui freak! You may not know this about me, but I LOOOOOVE classical chinese feng shui as much as Tarot and Astrology! So I want to share with you about Hungry Ghost Month and how to protect yourself.
In ancient Chinese folklore and legend, on the first day of the seventh LUNAR month (August), it is said that the gates of hell would be wide open and all of the ghosts will come out until the gate closes again on August 30th. So every year, August is a month to be especially careful in! Some believe that if you die unexpectedly during this month, it is seen as the ghosts wreaking pain on the living.
What can you do?
During this time, the people are said to do things to attempt to appease the ghosts, in an attempt to help them secure an early release from hell, or to pacify them. However, people also take extra precautions during this time as well. It is customary to set out lanterns and food offerings for the departed, and even to burn or offer money. Some people even carry or wear amulets, crosses, crystals or other symbols of protection.
It is also advisable during this time to avoid risk or supernatural activities as much as possible. Most importantly, don't go out alone at night, especially young children, seniors, or those who are weak in any way. It is also said that you should not whistle. If you ARE out at night, and hear a noise over your shoulder behind you, do not look back (that's a tough one- automatic reaction!).
When is this happening?
The energy is the strongest on the 15th lunar day of the month, which is August 15th, that's also the date of the Aquarius Full Moon, so take extra precautions including the day before and after as well. Here is a short tarot spread to help you make the most of the month of August!
1. What can I do, to best appease any ghosts around me this month?
2. What can I do to protect myself the most this month?
3. What is the most important thing for me to work on personally, to decrease any negativity around me for them to be attracted to?
I hope you give one or all of these three August Tarot spreads a try! If you do, please join me over on instagram @tarotliza and tag me in your spread, I will be posting some of mine as well! You can also share them with me on my fb page Tarot Liza or in our Tarot for the Modern Reader. I can't wait to do mine next!
I'm Liza, professional Tarot reader, writer and mentor, and this is Tarot Liza. Everyday we're working to bring our mission of delivering more value and Tarot education to the Modern Reader to life! Welcome! Read more...
- Have you ever gotten a reversed court card? What do you do when you receive a Court Card in a reading, but it is in reverse? Assuming you read reversals, then this post is for you. I read a reversed court card a couple of ways. First and foremost, if it represents someone else, I often see this as a negative expression of the qualities of the person. I…Read More »
- Astrology is a big part of the Tarot, particularly the Major Arcana. Metaphysical disciplines don't exist in a vacuum. Each is related to, and intertwined with many other disciplines. In today's post I want to share with you a little about how astrology and tarot can work together, and specifically, the Major Arcana. We'll discuss the minors in another post-…Read More »
- Did you know there are astrological symbols hiding in plain sight in the tarot? Each card in the Tarot is associated with a corresponding astrological sign, planet, or both. This likely isn;'t a sur[prise to you, afterall, metaphysical disciplines rarely exist in a vacuum. As a matter of fact, with a slower, second look, we can see evidence of…Read More »
- What does self-care look like in the tarot? Well for starters, we have to talk about self-love. We have to have that in order to really be able to prioritize our self care. You might even be wondering why it's so important to prioritize ourself and our own care in the first place. Read tarot for others long enough, and you'll quickly notice that the…Read More »
- What are the top 20 cards for relationships in the tarot? This is the question that everyone wants to know. Why? Well as nature would have it, we are actually predictable creatures by nature. Although we have many different hobbies and personalities and differences between us, the one thing that is most common among all of us is the desire…Read More »
- The King of Wands is the secret to your special gifts and passions that you have to share. This article is written to accompany our 5 Day Inner Emperor Challenge! If you're reading this within the week it goes live, feel free to join us for the live challenge! This is what we are discussed on Day 1, and the remaining 4 days will resemble the content…Read More »