Tarot for the Modern Reader
How I Went from Nurse to Tarot Card Reader
A peek behind the curtain of my struggle to find my true passion
It all started way back, about 10 years ago, while I was still in Nursing School…
After many years of bein' a single momma to two AWESOME daughters, I was thrilled when my life took a very "traditional" turn. I got married, became a momma again to awesome daughter number three, and in her first year of life, headed off to Nursing School! My second daughter had been in a terrible accident a few years prior, and after a lot of time spent in the hospital, I realized I had a real knack for the healing profession, and so when the time was right for me to consider what I wanted to do with my life, it seemed a natural path! Little did I know… I did have a knack for helping others, but I wasn't quite on the right path yet…
While in school, I had signed up for one of those "book clubs". You know the kind, you get a certain number of books for a penny, then they send you books each month for you to decline or pay for (I was NEVER any good at that stuff!). As I perused the selection, I noticed they offered a pack of Tarot Cards (oooohhhh mermaid with a shiny bauble syndrome!). I immediately ordered them and they arrived complete with a little book.
At this time, I was about half or three quarters of the way through my
I couldn't see it then, but it was the best thing that ever happened to me. At the time I was angry, sad, ashamed, embarrassed and probably every other emotion imaginable! Though, had I graduated, I would probably still be in the daily exhausting grind that is the work of a health professional. Don't get me wrong, the job comes with a lot of rewards, both tangible and internal, but it wasn't the right "job" for me.
Realizing my ladder had been leaning against the wrong wall…
After all of those years, I realized I had spent a long time, climbing the wrong ladder. For years afterwards, everyone from family to caring friends, have all told me I should "just go back" for that one semester. But I realized, while I wanted to help others, I didn't want to be a nurse. Fate had other plans for me. My destiny lay elsewhere.
The re-emergence of the cards…
After that, I took a job as a bartender while I considered my next move. While watching a movie one night, the Tarot cards came on the screen. While I didn't know what they really meant, I recognized a bunch of them, and even had a vague "idea" of the card based on its picture. Proof that ANYONE can read this visual symbolism!
Shortly thereafter I took my daughter to a bookstore for a costume party to celebrate the midnight release of the latest book in a very popular "magical" book series. While killing time I perused the Spirituality section and came across a very basic card meaning book on clearance. I sat in the bookstore and read that book that night, and then I bought it (seemed fair). Then I went home and unpacked my cards.
Fast forward to today…
The Story of Tarot Liza
My goal at Tarot Liza, is to make this one of those sites for you :). Today I really enjoy reading for myself and others, not for prediction, but for Empowerment! When you are on the Tarot Journey, you realize that you have so much control over your choices, your life, and where it's all headed! Tarot gives us that Roadmap, and with it, we can use this ancient system to look deep into the heart of a matter and discern all of the information to make the best decisions possible, to create the outcome we want! Tarot helps us to be prepared to meet whatever comes next :) Now, I want to empower YOU with the tools and skills you need to empower and transform your life and others with the Tarot as well :) I'm here to educate, mentor, inspire, empower and share. I hope you can find everything you will ever need for your Tarot journey, here.
Your CHALLENGE: Join the Tarot Liza Community. Do it now! Join the FREE facebook group, 'Tarot for the Modern Reader". Then tell us in the comments, what are you most excited to learn about Tarot? What do you struggle with the most? Identify the biggest block you have with learning Tarot, and share it with us below!
Did you like this content and find it useful? If so, please help us spread the word by spreading the (social) love! We'd LOVE it if you'd Like and Share below! Tweetable: "Don't Be Afraid to Fail!"
I'm Liza, professional Tarot reader, writer and mentor, and this is Tarot Liza. Everyday we're working to bring our mission of delivering more value and Tarot education to the Modern Reader to life! Welcome! Read more...
- I have a question in my facebook group, Tarot for the Modern Reader that asks "What is your BIGGEST struggle with reading Tarot cards?" With over 1000 responses, I have gotten the same 4 over and over and over again. One of them being, "How to tell the story in the cards"- how to weave the narrative that plays out by relating what all of the cards me…Read More »
- Jupiter, the planet of abundance is about to leave spiritual Pisces and dive head-long into powerhouse Aries! This is the sign ruled by the Emperor. Our lives are all about to get a lot busier! So this week, let's talk about how we can use the Emperor's energy to be the BOSS in our own lives. The kings in the tarot are really the personification of the…Read More »
- Have you never noticed how many cards in your deck feature animals? Spoiler alert- in the RWS deck, it's 33! That's nearly half the deck! What does this mean? In the artwork of our decks, the animals are seen as symbols, they represent more than just something cute or interesting to look at. As a matter of fact, every animal has it’s own…Read More »
- So you've heard me say that metaphysical systems do not exist in a vacuum once or twenty times right?? In this week's episode, I share what Taurus season brings, how it differs and builds upon the season of Aries that we just left, and what cards I expect to see more of in my readings (besides the two in the title)! I also share how you can work with this…Read More »
- Did you know there are astrological symbols hiding in plain sight in the tarot? Each card in the Tarot is associated with a corresponding astrological sign, planet, or both. This likely isn't a surprise to you, after all, metaphysical disciplines rarely exist in a vacuum. As a matter of fact, with a slower, second look, we can see evidence of all…Read More »
- Astrology is a big part of the Tarot. Metaphysical disciplines don't exist in a vacuum. Each is related to, and intertwined with many other disciplines. In today's episode I want to share with you a little about how astrology and tarot can work together, and specifically, the Major Arcana. There are 22 Major Arcana. There are also 12 signs and 10…Read More »