Tarot for the Modern Reader
How I Went from Nurse to Tarot Card Reader
A peek behind the curtain of my struggle to find my true passion
It all started way back, about 10 years ago, while I was still in Nursing School…
After many years of bein' a single momma to two AWESOME daughters, I was thrilled when my life took a very "traditional" turn. I got married, became a momma again to awesome daughter number three, and in her first year of life, headed off to Nursing School! My second daughter had been in a terrible accident a few years prior, and after a lot of time spent in the hospital, I realized I had a real knack for the healing profession, and so when the time was right for me to consider what I wanted to do with my life, it seemed a natural path! Little did I know… I did have a knack for helping others, but I wasn't quite on the right path yet…
While in school, I had signed up for one of those "book clubs". You know the kind, you get a certain number of books for a penny, then they send you books each month for you to decline or pay for (I was NEVER any good at that stuff!). As I perused the selection, I noticed they offered a pack of Tarot Cards (oooohhhh mermaid with a shiny bauble syndrome!). I immediately ordered them and they arrived complete with a little book.
At this time, I was about half or three quarters of the way through my
I couldn't see it then, but it was the best thing that ever happened to me. At the time I was angry, sad, ashamed, embarrassed and probably every other emotion imaginable! Though, had I graduated, I would probably still be in the daily exhausting grind that is the work of a health professional. Don't get me wrong, the job comes with a lot of rewards, both tangible and internal, but it wasn't the right "job" for me.
Realizing my ladder had been leaning against the wrong wall…
After all of those years, I realized I had spent a long time, climbing the wrong ladder. For years afterwards, everyone from family to caring friends, have all told me I should "just go back" for that one semester. But I realized, while I wanted to help others, I didn't want to be a nurse. Fate had other plans for me. My destiny lay elsewhere.
The re-emergence of the cards…
After that, I took a job as a bartender while I considered my next move. While watching a movie one night, the Tarot cards came on the screen. While I didn't know what they really meant, I recognized a bunch of them, and even had a vague "idea" of the card based on its picture. Proof that ANYONE can read this visual symbolism!
Shortly thereafter I took my daughter to a bookstore for a costume party to celebrate the midnight release of the latest book in a very popular "magical" book series. While killing time I perused the Spirituality section and came across a very basic card meaning book on clearance. I sat in the bookstore and read that book that night, and then I bought it (seemed fair). Then I went home and unpacked my cards.
Fast forward to today…
The Story of Tarot Liza
My goal at Tarot Liza, is to make this one of those sites for you :). Today I really enjoy reading for myself and others, not for prediction, but for Empowerment! When you are on the Tarot Journey, you realize that you have so much control over your choices, your life, and where it's all headed! Tarot gives us that Roadmap, and with it, we can use this ancient system to look deep into the heart of a matter and discern all of the information to make the best decisions possible, to create the outcome we want! Tarot helps us to be prepared to meet whatever comes next :) Now, I want to empower YOU with the tools and skills you need to empower and transform your life and others with the Tarot as well :) I'm here to educate, mentor, inspire, empower and share. I hope you can find everything you will ever need for your Tarot journey, here.
Your CHALLENGE: Join the Tarot Liza Community. Do it now! Join the FREE facebook group, 'Tarot for the Modern Reader". Then tell us in the comments, what are you most excited to learn about Tarot? What do you struggle with the most? Identify the biggest block you have with learning Tarot, and share it with us below!
Did you like this content and find it useful? If so, please help us spread the word by spreading the (social) love! We'd LOVE it if you'd Like and Share below! Tweetable: "Don't Be Afraid to Fail!"
I'm Liza, professional Tarot reader, writer and mentor, and this is Tarot Liza. Everyday we're working to bring our mission of delivering more value and Tarot education to the Modern Reader to life! Welcome! Read more...
- We’re now in the window of the true Samhain portal. Tune in to this week’s episode and pickup the ritual I left out of last week’s episode (oops!), as well as why you might want to do these rituals again (or for the first time), this week! But hurry- the portal won’t be open long. I also share a few announcements for the podcast for the coming month!...Read More »
- Halloween and rituals go hand in hand. Although we have turned Halloween into a night of spooky fun, complete with costumes and candy for children, it is really a special night to honor those who are no longer with us, and based on the much older pagan sabbat of Samhain. It's a great time to communicate with those who have passed over, or any of our spirit guides, as the veil is much thinner not only during Scorpio season in general...Read More »
- Death, rebirth and letting go, these are the themes that let us know that Scorpio season has arrived! This is the time of year that we are prime to look into the deepest darkest corners and excavate the things that are no longer serving us. The things that are holding us back. Things that have long outlived their usefulness. Some of these things go all the way back to our childhood, and some are just outdated and outworn patterns of behavior...Read More »
- The Shadow Self, what is it and where does it come from? How is it formed, and how do we heal it? Why do we have it in the first place? These are all questions that come up when we begin discussing the shadow. No discussion about the shadow is complete without a dive into mythology, as all things related to the shadow are naturally related to the Underworld, which is the domain of Pluto (who in the Tarot, rules the Death card). Join me in this episode to learn how to identify your shadows, and join us on a 13 day Shadow Work Challenge!...Read More »
- Want to know what's in the cards? Look no further than the stars! What if I could share with you a cool way to use a 3-card-reading, every 10 days, that you don't even have to draw yourself, that could accurately forecast your next 10 days? What if we could do that for all of the 10 days of the rest of your life? And you don't have to be an astrologer to do it either! This technique also works retroactively- so you can look back in time at the forecasts for significant times in your life to see how they match up! Join me this week...Read More »
- The decans and their forecasts, are determined by their astrological associations- so while we may look at the imagery in this card and think it would be a terrible predictor of our week, it's astrology tells a different story. The association for the Three of Swords is Saturn in Libra, and that's the association we need to keep in mind, when we are considering the energy that we are going to be experiencing during this card's reign or tenure. Saturn is cold, dark, heavy, wet, dreary…. Hence the rain in the Rider-Waite-Smith card behind...Read More »