Tarot for the Modern Reader
Top 10 Tips for Beginning Readers
When you first begin to read Tarot cards, you have SOOOOO many questions! Most of them feel very legitimate at the time, and while some are based on physical techniques, others are based on how to interpret, and still other times we just want to know if we are doing it "right". When I first started reading, I was so excited! Yet I had so many unanswered questions (and stacks and stacks of resource books to prove it!). Today I'm bringing you Ten Tips that I've rounded up from a few of my fellow card reading peers.
What I love about these tips are that they are so profound, and yet so simple at the same time. Some are short and sweet, others a little longer, yet they all offer the same wisdom. If I had this little list to look at ten years ago, I think I might have breathed a little sigh of relief that it was all going to be good. That it's about the journey not the destination, and I was doing everything just fine, because no matter how I did it, it was going to be my own way, which is just the right way for each of us. Hopefully a few of these tips speak to you, inspire you, or at least make you smile!
1. Journal, Practice, and do your best to memorize the basic meanings of a standard deck (whichever system you choose) so that when you begin to branch out into other styles and types of decks you have a good base to start with. Knowledge of astrology, numerology and so forth helps too. -Amy Dee
2. Never bullshit. –Angelique
3. Learn the traditional meanings, but don't be afraid to move away from them when your intuition indicates. Also, ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INTUITION. –Nathalie
4. Realize that although each card has a theme, there is more than one meaning for each card depending on the cards beside it. So listen to your intuition when looking at the card as something will stand out from the card which will be appropriate for the person you practice on. –Suzanne
5. Let the image guide you. –Bonnie
6. Find a deck that really speaks to you! Makes learning so much easier. –earthangel.moonchild
7. Record your thoughts about each draw you do, whether it's in your journal, on your blog or even on Insta. You'll see patterns emerge and learn your own language of the cards xo. –Clare
8. Best advice would be to stay calm and trust any messages that come to you and any impressions you get from a card. –Kayla
9. Don't worry about the "official" meanings but use your intuition to see what the cards tell you. When I started, a reading took forever because I was looking up ever single card. Once I put the book away, things started falling into place. –Lori
10. Trust yourself. There is no wrong way to eat a Rees----errr, read a Tarot card J -Liza
That's it! Notice some similarities? The same theme runs through almost all of them. Simple. Profound.
Your CHALLENGE: Tell us below, what is the most useful piece of advice you have gotten, whether above, or elsewhere, for reading the cards?
Did you like this content and find it useful? If so, please help us spread the word by spreading the (social) love! We'd LOVE it if you'd Like and Share below! Tweetable: "Top Ten Tips!"
I'm Liza, professional Tarot reader, writer and mentor, and this is Tarot Liza. Everyday we're working to bring our mission of delivering more value and Tarot education to the Modern Reader to life! Welcome! Read more...
- Have you ever gotten a reversed court card? What do you do when you receive a Court Card in a reading, but it is in reverse? Assuming you read reversals, then this post is for you. I read a reversed court card a couple of ways. First and foremost, if it represents someone else, I often see this as a negative expression of the qualities of the person. I…Read More »
- Astrology is a big part of the Tarot, particularly the Major Arcana. Metaphysical disciplines don't exist in a vacuum. Each is related to, and intertwined with many other disciplines. In today's post I want to share with you a little about how astrology and tarot can work together, and specifically, the Major Arcana. We'll discuss the minors in another post-…Read More »
- Did you know there are astrological symbols hiding in plain sight in the tarot? Each card in the Tarot is associated with a corresponding astrological sign, planet, or both. This likely isn;'t a sur[prise to you, afterall, metaphysical disciplines rarely exist in a vacuum. As a matter of fact, with a slower, second look, we can see evidence of…Read More »
- What does self-care look like in the tarot? Well for starters, we have to talk about self-love. We have to have that in order to really be able to prioritize our self care. You might even be wondering why it's so important to prioritize ourself and our own care in the first place. Read tarot for others long enough, and you'll quickly notice that the…Read More »
- What are the top 20 cards for relationships in the tarot? This is the question that everyone wants to know. Why? Well as nature would have it, we are actually predictable creatures by nature. Although we have many different hobbies and personalities and differences between us, the one thing that is most common among all of us is the desire…Read More »
- The King of Wands is the secret to your special gifts and passions that you have to share. This article is written to accompany our 5 Day Inner Emperor Challenge! If you're reading this within the week it goes live, feel free to join us for the live challenge! This is what we are discussed on Day 1, and the remaining 4 days will resemble the content…Read More »