Tarot for the Modern Reader
Top 10 Tips for Beginning Readers
When you first begin to read Tarot cards, you have SOOOOO many questions! Most of them feel very legitimate at the time, and while some are based on physical techniques, others are based on how to interpret, and still other times we just want to know if we are doing it "right". When I first started reading, I was so excited! Yet I had so many unanswered questions (and stacks and stacks of resource books to prove it!). Today I'm bringing you Ten Tips that I've rounded up from a few of my fellow card reading peers.
What I love about these tips are that they are so profound, and yet so simple at the same time. Some are short and sweet, others a little longer, yet they all offer the same wisdom. If I had this little list to look at ten years ago, I think I might have breathed a little sigh of relief that it was all going to be good. That it's about the journey not the destination, and I was doing everything just fine, because no matter how I did it, it was going to be my own way, which is just the right way for each of us. Hopefully a few of these tips speak to you, inspire you, or at least make you smile!
1. Journal, Practice, and do your best to memorize the basic meanings of a standard deck (whichever system you choose) so that when you begin to branch out into other styles and types of decks you have a good base to start with. Knowledge of astrology, numerology and so forth helps too. -Amy Dee
2. Never bullshit. –Angelique
3. Learn the traditional meanings, but don't be afraid to move away from them when your intuition indicates. Also, ALWAYS TRUST YOUR INTUITION. –Nathalie
4. Realize that although each card has a theme, there is more than one meaning for each card depending on the cards beside it. So listen to your intuition when looking at the card as something will stand out from the card which will be appropriate for the person you practice on. –Suzanne
5. Let the image guide you. –Bonnie
6. Find a deck that really speaks to you! Makes learning so much easier. –earthangel.moonchild
7. Record your thoughts about each draw you do, whether it's in your journal, on your blog or even on Insta. You'll see patterns emerge and learn your own language of the cards xo. –Clare
8. Best advice would be to stay calm and trust any messages that come to you and any impressions you get from a card. –Kayla
9. Don't worry about the "official" meanings but use your intuition to see what the cards tell you. When I started, a reading took forever because I was looking up ever single card. Once I put the book away, things started falling into place. –Lori
10. Trust yourself. There is no wrong way to eat a Rees----errr, read a Tarot card J -Liza
That's it! Notice some similarities? The same theme runs through almost all of them. Simple. Profound.
Your CHALLENGE: Tell us below, what is the most useful piece of advice you have gotten, whether above, or elsewhere, for reading the cards?
Did you like this content and find it useful? If so, please help us spread the word by spreading the (social) love! We'd LOVE it if you'd Like and Share below! Tweetable: "Top Ten Tips!"
I'm Liza, professional Tarot reader, writer and mentor, and this is Tarot Liza. Everyday we're working to bring our mission of delivering more value and Tarot education to the Modern Reader to life! Welcome! Read more...
S02 Ep023 How to Tell the Story in the CardsI have a question in my facebook group, Tarot for the Modern Reader that asks "What is your BIGGEST struggle with reading Tarot cards?" With over 1000 responses, I have gotten the same 4 over and over and over again. One of them being, "How to tell the story in the cards"- how to weave the narrative that plays out by relating what all of the cards me…Read More »
S02 Ep022 How to be the BOSS of Your Life by Embodying your Inner Tarot KingsJupiter, the planet of abundance is about to leave spiritual Pisces and dive head-long into powerhouse Aries! This is the sign ruled by the Emperor. Our lives are all about to get a lot busier! So this week, let's talk about how we can use the Emperor's energy to be the BOSS in our own lives. The kings in the tarot are really the personification of the…Read More »
S02 Ep021 Animal Symbols and Their Meanings in the TarotHave you never noticed how many cards in your deck feature animals? Spoiler alert- in the RWS deck, it's 33! That's nearly half the deck! What does this mean? In the artwork of our decks, the animals are seen as symbols, they represent more than just something cute or interesting to look at. As a matter of fact, every animal has it’s own…Read More »
S02 Ep020 Taurus Season with the Empress and the HierophantSo you've heard me say that metaphysical systems do not exist in a vacuum once or twenty times right?? In this week's episode, I share what Taurus season brings, how it differs and builds upon the season of Aries that we just left, and what cards I expect to see more of in my readings (besides the two in the title)! I also share how you can work with this…Read More »
S01 Ep019 Astrological Symbols Hiding in Plain Sight in the TarotDid you know there are astrological symbols hiding in plain sight in the tarot? Each card in the Tarot is associated with a corresponding astrological sign, planet, or both. This likely isn't a surprise to you, after all, metaphysical disciplines rarely exist in a vacuum. As a matter of fact, with a slower, second look, we can see evidence of all…Read More »
S01 Ep018 Astrology of the Tarot Major ArcanaAstrology is a big part of the Tarot. Metaphysical disciplines don't exist in a vacuum. Each is related to, and intertwined with many other disciplines. In today's episode I want to share with you a little about how astrology and tarot can work together, and specifically, the Major Arcana. There are 22 Major Arcana. There are also 12 signs and 10…Read More »